Table of Contents
- 1 What is the full meaning of pedestrian?
- 2 Who are called pedestrians?
- 3 What are the two meanings of pedestrian?
- 4 Is a cyclist a pedestrian?
- 5 Can a cyclist use a pedestrian crossing?
- 6 Who has right of way cyclist and pedestrian?
- 7 What is the synonym to the word pedestrian?
- 8 What is the plural of pedestrians?
What is the full meaning of pedestrian?
a person who is walking, especially in an area where vehicles go: A few pedestrians sheltered from the rain in doorways.
Who are called pedestrians?
A pedestrian is a person travelling on foot, whether walking or running. In modern times, the term mostly refers to someone walking on a road or footpath, but this was not the case historically.
What is pedestrian and example?
The definition of a pedestrian is a person who is walking along a road or some developed area to get where he needs to go. An example of a pedestrian is a person who is walking to work. A pedestrian bridge.
What is the dictionary definition of pedestrian?
adjective. going or performed on foot; walking. of or relating to walking. lacking in vitality, imagination, distinction, etc.; commonplace; prosaic or dull: a pedestrian commencement speech.
What are the two meanings of pedestrian?
A pedestrian is someone traveling by foot. Pedestrian comes from the Latin pedester meaning “going on foot” but also “plain.” As a noun, it’s someone walking around — sidewalks are for pedestrians. As an adjective it means “lacking wit or imagination.” If someone calls your new poem pedestrian, they mean it’s dull.
Is a cyclist a pedestrian?
While bicycles are basically both car and pedestrian (based on where they are used), most states also have laws specifically related to the bicyclist. And, for purposes of liability when a car hits someone riding a bicycle, most states treat the cyclist as a pedestrian rather than a fellow driver.
What are the duties of pedestrians?
Duties of Pedestrians
- They must cross the road at a right angle, or take the shortest route possible when crossing.
- They must not cross suddenly in front of oncoming traffic.
- They must use sidewalks if provided. If there are no sidewalks, they must walk on the left side of the road.
- They must obey all traffic signals.
How do you use the word pedestrian?
English Sentences Focusing on Words and Their Word Families The Word “Pedestrian” in Example Sentences Page 1
- [S] [T] Watch out for the pedestrians. (
- [S] [T] The bus driver didn’t see the pedestrian. (
- [S] [T] Look out for pedestrians when you drive a car. (
- [S] [T] Three pedestrians were victims of an accident.
Can a cyclist use a pedestrian crossing?
The Highway Code also sets out what to do at Toucan crossings and cycle-only ones. Rule 80 states: “Toucan crossings are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.”
Who has right of way cyclist and pedestrian?
As Judge Mauger explained in her summing up, even where a motorist or cyclist has right of war on the road ‘pedestrians who are established on the road have right of way’. Rule 170 of the Highway Code states that if a pedestrian has ‘started to cross’ a road, they have right of way.
What are three responsibilities that pedestrians have?
Pay attention to Motor vehicles, signs, signals and rules.
- Never assume a driver will see you & stop.
- Pause before crossing.
- Cross only at intersections.
What does the name pedestrian mean?
pedestrian – a person who travels by foot. footer, walker. traveler, traveller – a person who changes location. hiker, tramper, tramp – a foot traveler; someone who goes on an extended walk (for pleasure) hobbler, limper – someone who has a limp and walks with a hobbling gait.
What is the synonym to the word pedestrian?
Synonyms for pedestrian include dull, boring, plodding, uninteresting, flat, tedious, commonplace, monotonous, unimaginative and humdrum. Find more similar words at
What is the plural of pedestrians?
pedestrian (plural pedestrians) Somebody walking rather than using a vehicle; somebody traveling on foot on or near a roadway. (dated) An expert walker; one who performs feats of walking or running.
What does pedestrial mean?
going or performed on foot; walking. of or relating to walking. lacking in vitality, imagination, distinction, etc.; commonplace; prosaic or dull: a pedestrian commencement speech.